Thursday, November 02, 2006

Surprisingly not camera shy

I saw this little critter in the ditch that runs along our dirt road. I was able to get several photos of it. Though it was wary, it didn't seem truly afraid. It is an American Mink. While I was watching it and taking photos, it made actual eye contact with me.



It is a very pretty animal, and this is only the second time I've ever seen one in the wild in this area where we live.



It would swim up the ditch, while I followed, then scoot along the edge of the bank. American Mink are very fast swimmers.



I think it finally had enough of me, and it disappeared inside of a hole in the bank near the water's edge. I waited a little bit, then it finally poked its head out to see if I was still there.



It looked at me, then climbed quickly up the steep bank of the ditch and ran off into the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment