Thursday, November 09, 2006

My, oh my, just look what the years have gone & done

The other day I was noticing an old photo that I put up on our fridge a very long time ago. I had found this photo in a tin of old recipes and other stuff like magnets, notes, newspaper clippings, that kind of stuff... stuff that had been at one time on our first refrigerator together way, way back in the day. Kev and I have a long history of weighing down our refrigerators with photos and stuff. Stuff, stuff, stuff... just goin’ for the paragraph with the most frequent use of the word ‘stuff’ there... anyway, back to nostalgia...

This photo of Kev and I was taken in the summer of 1981. We visited a friend in Port Huron one weekend, where we spent hours on her boyfriend’s boat sunning, swimming, skiing, drinking and... well, it was the early 80’s... nuffsaid. So here are the young Kev and I, smashed and fried.



I have some other snapshots hanging on a wall nearby that show our young selves... This first one was taken for us by a nice stranger on Mackinaw Island, which was during our first trip there together. The red shirt Kev is wearing, by the way, is one I gave to him for Valentine’s Day, also in 1981, and he still has that shirt. Mackinaw Island became the romantic destination for us. It’s still one of my favorite places to visit.



In fact, Kev wore that old not-so-red-now shirt yesterday when he was out working on the tractor... where he left it...



This second old photo was taken by my sister, Kathy, and I believe this was also in 1981. In this photo, Kev & I are sitting in the living room of the apartment that Kathy & I rented together for a while. Those were some fun times. Whenever I think of when we rented that apartment together, I think of Arby’s. Kathy and I would hit Arby’s late on our way home from partying, and we’d each get an Arby’s Beef 'n Cheddar. Nothing like an Arby’s Beef 'n Cheddar & a pink lemonade to help stave off a hangover. We ate a lot of Arby’s that summer.

Doesn’t that sofa screech the 1970’s or early 80’s... I think that old sofa is down in Kathy’s basement. Notice the stack of albums against the wall... record albums. Also, the large dieffenbachia... no apartment was complete without the token large tropical plant in a basket planter, with accompanying houseplants in macramé hangers.



And now for comparison... taken yesterday by Kev with his one-armed talent...



Don’t we look old... Old and happy. Which sounds way better than just plain old old. Actually, I look old and tired, since basically that's how I felt yesterday afternoon.

This is a photo I took of Kev getting ready to go out hunting yesterday... my old, gray-haired hunter.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:45 PM

    I think you look great in both before and after pictures.:):) But, I do have to comment on how skinny you were back then!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures, I loved looking at them. Miss talking to you.:):):)
    Zona

    ReplyDelete