Sunday, November 05, 2006

20 Lichen photos

Well, ok, lichen is fungi... just can't seem to get over my fetish with fungi. Yesterday on my camera-toting walk, I tried to take some close-ups of the lichen I saw. I'm really not very good with my camera, and close-ups are not my forte. (I only recently figured out how to work the flash again... it had me puzzled for weeks... thought I was going to have to enroll in a class.)

I took photos at the wood piles, of course, and of stumps off in the edge of woods around the pond and a couple on living trees. The first shot of the British Soldier Lichen is the top of one of the split rail fence posts surrounding my herb garden. When I was a kid, we called that simply the Red Helmet Soldier Lichen... I have no idea why. BTW, a 'net search on lichen will give one millions of hits. Apparently, I am not the only one with said fetish.

The one photo with the half-eaten acorn was from a stump next to a living oak tree, and there were acorn remains all over the stump area. Clearly someone's dining room. If I were a squirrel, I would approve of the both the location and the table... nice view of the pond while eating an acorn dinner. The half-eaten acorn nut made me wonder why the squirrel went to all that trouble to break open the acorn shell and then eat only part of the nut. Was he too full, did it taste bad or was he interrupted & had to flee... Yes, I spent far too much time at that stump. One could call it procrastination, but I prefer 'enjoying the outdoors.'

Some of the close-up shots turned out okay. I think the colors and patterns are beautiful. I've made smaller views, thumbnails, of each, and to see the larger view of the photo, just click on the thumbnail. How original, huh?!!!...








































  • 1 comment:

    1. Hehe, this post is absolutely brilliant. Well done.

      (Surfing in via NaBloPoMo)

      ReplyDelete