Thursday, March 24, 2005

Spring Break Headache

We leave early Saturday morning for our Spring Break Road Trip. Michigan to Texas and back in 1 week. And now it's that time, right before a vacation, where I feel like I don't want to go. I am at heart a homebody. Though I've been so looking forward to our road trip, right this moment I'm wishing it were over already. Well, not 100% wishing that, since I can't wait to see my best friend in Texas... but...

Since we have 3 dogs, 2 cats and 1 gerbil, there's always the pets to consider. And since Reilly, Dog No. 1, i.e., Top Dog, stays in the house, that's even more of a problem. He doesn't do well all alone 24-7, it just isn't possible. But everyone is busy, busy. My Daddy just had knee surgery so we don't want to hassle him and Mom to come over to our house to play with Reilly. And there's the fact that we live off from 1/2 mile of a dirt road, and with a long ass driveway, and both are total mudslides at the moment. They're both in the worst condition I've seen in years... I almost got stuck the other night. Ugh. So we don't want to ask anyone to drive up and down our road twice a day. Even if we asked, I'm not sure anyone would!

So... we've finally settled on taking all 3 dogs over to my folks where they can live together for a week. Mom and Dad have a fenced-in portion on a cement slab with a nice outbuilding, so the 3 dogs will sleep together, too. Reilly will need about 50 baths when we get home, but he'll be in too much dog party heaven to miss us. I worry, though, that the experience will change him too much and he won't be our old Reilly.

Anyway, we'll put food out for the cats and the rat to last a few days and someone will tool on over every other day or so and bring in the mail & newspapers, check on the house and feed the critters up again.

I also worry that our dogs not being here to bark their fool heads off, I mean, er, watch over the place, that we just may get robbed or something.

This whole thing just kinda sucks. It's sucking all my happy anticipation for vacation right down the drain. I have a headache the size of Texas and a fuse more like Rhode Island, temperamental to the core. Ain't that a great recipe for a road trip???

No comments:

Post a Comment