Saturday, March 05, 2005

My Best Friend

My best friend's name is Sandy. We've been best friends for about 24 years. Almost 20 years ago, she and her hubby and their then-2-year-old son moved far away to Texas. We've managed to spend quite a bit of time together through the years, and we talk all the time. I just love it, though, when we have time face-to-face. Phone calls just don't replace that time together.

Sandy sent me an e-mail this past Thursday afternoon to let me know she would be flying in the next morning. The Next Morning!!! So she got to see how dusty our house really is. But I plied her with wine and made her forget about it. It was so wonderful to be with her, drink wine and make dinner together. (She stopped on the way to our house from the airport and bought steaks to grill!... ahh... filet mignon!)

And it was also wonderful to wake up this morning and leisurely have coffee together and more good yakking, then with a nice little caffiene high going, whip up a quiche lorraine and pound cake for breakfast.

But then she left. She's spending the next 2 nights at her brothers, and they're going to the funeral of a friend tomorrow, which is the reason for Sandy's trip back home. Their friend died of colon cancer last week, after her short battle with it since Christmas. She was a neighbor they knew growing up and have kept in touch with through all the years.

I'm glad Sandy and I got so much time to talk together in her short visit with us. She's one of the most interesting people I know, and it's weird because I know she doesn't think she is. We're driving to Texas to see them over Spring Break, so we'll be together again in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment