Monday, February 25, 2008

Maybe someday…

Photo Friday’s ‘Art’ challenge continues to keep me happily occupied. This entry from “Barcelona Photoblog” really caught my interest. You really should click on that link to see the beautiful photo there. I also found this photo by Montrealais on Wikimedia Commons:



This is a photo of the stained glass skylight inside the concert hall of the Palau de la Música Catalana in Becelona, Spain. Isn’t it gorgeous? I found more information on this structure on Wikipedia...

     --The Palau de la Música Catalana (Palace of Catalan Music) is a concert hall in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

     --Built between 1905 and 1908; inaugurated February 9 1908

     --The concert hall of the Palau, which seats about 2,200 people, is the only auditorium in Europe that is illuminated during daylight hours entirely by natural light. The walls on two sides consist primarily of stained-glass panes set in magnificent arches, and overhead is an enormous skylight of stained glass designed by Antoni Rigalt whose centerpiece is an inverted dome in shades of gold surrounded by blue that suggests the sun and the sky.

And here is a link to the concert hall’s official web site, though it didn’t help me much since I don’t speak Spanish.

I just love that skylight, and I like the description of how it “suggests the sun and the sky.” Beautiful. I'd love to maybe see it in person someday.

I couldn’t find very much information on Antoni Rigalt, except his full name I think is Antoni Rigalt i Blanch, and he was from Barcelona, born in 1861 & died 1914 at age 53. So when the Palau de la Música Catalana was finally finished and inaugurated on February 9, 1908, Antoni was about 47 years old.

I found some more absolutely stunning photos on another web site, a blog called “Mosaic Art Source.” This blog has many, many beautiful structures photographed.

No comments:

Post a Comment