Friday, October 20, 2006

My shy frog



This is my new cement birdbath that Kev & I bought on our recent road trip. The place where we bought it was one of those junky little roadside places. All the cement stuff was sitting in the mud and grass in the front. There was a fair amount of pieces, I guess... limited selection. The man who owned the place came out to tell us that everything marked with a yellow tag was 20% off and all the birdbaths, marked or not, were 20% off. Some of the price tags were so old, you could hardly read the price written on them. The man was a little shrimp of a guy, with a wispy mustache and a quick grin. He had only one of his front teeth, and that one stuck out like it was trying to hitchhike a ride. The guy was one of those people that could be 27 years old or 57 years old... you just couldn't tell. The building that I entered to pay him was filled with stuff for sale. In fact, there was a big blue and white sign on the door that read, "STUFF FOR SALE HERE." The stuff was all overpriced crap from I-don't-know-where... and it smelled in there like a musty cellar. He had a bunch of kids' puzzle books for the low, low price of $2.98 (which you can get at a dollar store for, yep, a dollar, and they won't smell as bad).

The man tallied up my bill, which came to $48.51. I gave him a fifty and said no need for change, gave him my thanks and started to leave. "No, no," he said, and proceeded to slowly gather my $1.49 of change and count it out carefully into my hand.

So now we have a statue of a frog with a pot belly and a strategically placed lily pad. His stance & expression make him look a bit of a lascivious little scamp, but the lily pad says not.

No comments:

Post a Comment