Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Enough with the fungi fetish already

Sunday afternoon I looked out my bedroom window toward the pond and saw this thing in the sand. Closer inspection revealed it to be... wait for it... wait for it... hey, you totally ruined the whole suspense thing.

Yeah, so anyway, yet another photo of fungi. I call this "Day 1"...



So yesterday, I looked again, and geewhiz, those fungi sure do age fast. This is "Day 2"...



And last night it rained, so I figured they would be blasted to smithereens... but I think today's heatwave just sped up the aging process.... I give you "Day 3"...



Weird stuff, huh. It's like they melted. It did get pretty hot today. Some folks enjoyed the heat, I'm sure, but not me. First of all, I'm still hacking and coughing my way through the end of this nasty cold, so I'm kinda predisposed to dislike pretty much everything right now. But also because this heatwave has brought out the beetles like crazy.
I think they're Japanese beetles, the ones that resemble ladybugs, but so are not ladybugs. They stink and they gather together and stink more. I hate them. They love our cedar siding on our house, and there are kazillions of 'em on and around the porch now. We can't use our front door until it gets cooler weather again and those nasty things go back into hiding. They fly into your hair and come in the house with you. I hate them.

Oh! and how big was that shroom, you ask? Well, here for your comparing pleasure is yet another fungi photo...



That's one big shroom...

I have so many, many more photos of fungi... I haven't even started on the variety that's living on the woodpile. I'll save them for a future day when I'm missing the colors and smells of autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment