Monday, September 11, 2006

Yet more lunchtime blogging

I had kinda, sorta planned to run some errands around noon, and to pick up some lunch while out and about. But it's a rainy, crappy day out there, so I decided not to leave my comfortable cubicle. As hunger ensued, I dug into my stash of lunch provisions I keep on hand. Today I had Thai Kitchen Roasted Garlic Rice Noodle Bowl. It's really good... and then I read the nutrition facts.

Holy Sodium, Batman. This stuff has 756 mg of sodium. And... then I notice "servings per container"... about 2. So that's 1,512 mg of sodium. One thousand five hundred and twelve milligrams of sodium! More or less.

According to experts (ok, a quick 'net search), one teaspoon of typical table salt contains 2,400 mg of sodium. So this rice noodle bowl (which, by the way is like a bowl of soup, and not a large bowl, so it's not too much for one person), would be like dumping about 2/3 of a teaspoon of table salt into it. Ugh.

I've been cutting down on my salt intake lately. That's probably why, when I started to eat my lunch, it seemed very salty to me. I'm sure the 6 peanut-butter-covered saltine crackers I ate with it helped.

I can feel my fingers swelling as I type this...

No comments:

Post a Comment