Thursday, September 21, 2006

September is fungi month

This month has been mostly wet and warm, and as usual, the fungi are lovin' it. This year, a type of fungus that I've not ever seen (or smelled) before has appeared in several different places. Noticeably, in the mulch near my little inukshuk right in front of our garage area.

It starts out as a ball-like thing. This one had 3 balls clumped together. I noticed it one day and thought to myself, "I wonder what the heck that is... I should get a photo." The next afternoon when I went out to take a photo, one had "erupted." Here's a photo of the clump, with the remaining 2 balls intact. Yes... yes, it does... it kind of looks like a scrotum.


The thing that came out of the ball looks like this:


The shaft is smooth textured, & not solid, stiff but flimsy. This is a photo looking down into what I would have called the head of the growth.


The head is an odd color of green, and it is sticky. Not wet sticky or slimey sticky, just soft sticky. With something like black veining all over, and with an interesting tip.


If you're thinking to yourself "penis"... ok, I agree. Similarities exist.

One of the remaining 2 balls erupted, and though it was difficult to tell, I'm 99% sure the shaft comes out and the "head" actually is at the bottom... inside the ball until it falls out.

It is the strongest smelling fungi I've ever had the misfortune to sniff. I told my sister, Kathy, who also had some of these growths at her place, that it smelled like a mushroom ate a really nasty mushroom and then puked. I'm talking strong and unpleasant.

However, a further observation was made (and not by me) that it smells like, well... semen. And now that I have heard that comparison... yes, it does. Sorta. More like I would imagine a filthy, dirty skanky rent-by-the-hour hotel room bedsheet might smell, after the end of a long night.

And that's the story of what my family has dubbed the penis fungus. (And those 2 words probably should never be put together, I'm sure. Oh, well.) I have plenty of photos of all different kinds of fungi and mushrooms, some that are strange and colorful and pretty, in a fungi way. Look forward to those photos, but none with such an interesting description as this. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment