Thursday, September 28, 2006

Playing chest

This morning at work, because everything is running so slow (computer systems), I decided to have some of what I brought in for lunch for breakfast. So today I joined the Smelly Breakfast Club.

I heated up some of my famous scrambled eggs with croutons and cheese. Famous because it's something I cook that no one else in my family likes. Why should that get more attention than chicken & rice or baked salmon or the other dishes they love? Don't know. But yesterday evening Sam & Kev weren't home (they were in Detroit watching the Tigers lose... dammit), and Joyce had already had dinner... so that's a perfect opportunity to make what I like for dinner. Just for me. I mix the eggs & milk and add Caesar seasoned croutons, let them get a touch soggy & then cook them and add cheese. Mmmm.... Pretty smelly when heated up here at work in the mic, though.

My ultra-intelligent pooch, Reilly, had taken to peeing in the yard instead of going out to the woods. He'll do that when the ferns start growing. So when I let him out the front door, I always look at him very seriously, and while pointing to the woods I say in a very firm voice, "You go all the way out, Reilly, all the way out." He'll start to go, stop and look back at me, so I will say it again. So he'll go a little further, stop again, so I say it once more. And so on. This morning though, he took me straight to the front door and when I let him out and told him to go all the way out, he just trotted quickly out there. Guess his business was urgent this morning. On the way back into the house, I told him, "so, yeah, you know to go all the way out, you just like to play with me with that stopping crap, so cut it out in the future, I'm on to you, pal." I swear he understood me. He had a smartass look on his face.

When I was 10 or 11 years old, my oldest sister, Janet, had a super cute boyfriend, Bob. (And he's been my brother-in-law for over 30 years now.) I don't remember all the details perfectly, but I think we had company over. I remember that Janet and Bob wanted to leave, and I suppose so that they wouldn't interrupt so much, they wrote a note to my mom to get her okay for them to take off. They wrote something like, "is it ok for us to leave & go to Bob's to play chest?" Of course, they meant chess... File that one under Freudian slip. I still think that's a funny story.

Kev & Sammy didn't get home from the Tigers game last night until close to 1:00am, so the boy was pretty tired this morning. I had to resort to tickling him out of the bed. Put a couple of wiggling fingers near that boy's butt and he moves. Kev was still in bed, and when I came out of the bathroom after getting dressed, there was Sammy laying in bed with his dad. Kev said, with his arms wrapped around Sammy, "I'm not letting him go." I love moments like that.

Sam is so into the Warrior cats books by Erin Hunter. He zipped through the first series, and now he's into the second series, "The New Prophecy." Sam told me yesterday morning that it's The Best Series Ever. Kicks Potter's butt Big Time. I love it that I'm the one that found those books for him. His favorite books ever, and he owes it all to me. Best Mom award coming up. So if you have an eleven-year-old in your midst, introduce them to these books. They'll be forever in your debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment