Sunday, January 21, 2007

Today I did 2 things I've never done before...

Sammy (and Joycie, too) have been wanting a Wii, like a million other kids. They are mostly not available in any stores near us. We finally heard that Target and Best Buy were going to get some in today. When Sam called Target the other day, for the umpteenth time, to inquire about a Wii, they told him that beginning at 7:00am on Sunday the 21st, they would hand out "tickets" to people in line and when the store opened at 8:00am, anyone with a ticket could buy a Wii. Best Buy doesn't open until 10am... so Target it is...

Sammy and I got up at 5:00am this morning and left the house by 5:30am. By 6:00am we were out near the mall, did a run through the Starbucks drive-through and got to the Target parking lot about 6:10am. There were some vehicles there, but the closest parking spot was open, so we parked there. As we parked, there were about 5 guys heading away from the front of Target, and they all got into their vehicles and started the engines. We think they were in line, and they were warming up... it was close to zero degrees out this morning. At about 6:35am, people started getting out of their cars and trucks and heading for the front, and Sammy and I joined them. We were No. 5 in line, and finally got our "ticket" at 7:05am. One guy said to the Target employee, an older woman, "so what? we can leave, go to church and come back later and get our Wii?" She said, "Oh no, you can't do that - this ticket just guarantees your spot in line when we open at 8am. If you have a ticket when the store opens, you get a Wii before anyone not holding a ticket. If you leave, then we won't hold a Wii for you." Actually, the whole thing was very well organized. They had 27 Wiis available, and gave tickets out for all of them. More people than tickets.

So Sammy spent every penny to his name, plus some additional by Joycie, and with a little help from me, and now there's a Wii in our house. And I have to admit, it's pretty cool. I still can't believe I stood in line and froze my toes for it. Sam was beyond excited, so it was worth it. I really can't think of anything I don't have that I would want to purchase badly enough to get up that early and stand in line in below freezing weather like that... Sam called it an adventure. I call it something I am likely to never do again.

The other thing I did today that I've never done before was to watch my daughter sign her name to a lease for an apartment. She and 3 friends are going to be renting a 4-bedroom, 2-bath apartment beginning this August for college. After doing all the paperwork in the office, we got to view a model, though it was a 3-bedroom, 3-bath apartment. It was very nice, and the complex is very nice, too. It has a 24-hour fitness facility, game room, computer lab and tanning dome, all included. It has free shuttle to the campus and other areas. A nice, big outdoor pool and hot tub, a basketball court and a sand volleyball court, also a nice picnic area with grills. The apartment has a full-size washer and dryer, dish washer, garbage disposal, and cable TV and high speed Internet access included. It's a helluva lot nicer than the first place I rented years and years ago! The girls are hoping for a 2nd floor apartment, with their balcony overlooking the pool area. They're gonna have fun.

It started snowing again while we were in the complex office, and it's not let up since... almost 4 hours ago. Big, fat flakes coming down fast. It's beautiful!

On the drive home, on the West side of our dirt road is a hedge of wild brambles that grow between the first house and the 2nd house (and last house, before ours), which is a distance of probably a city block. On the other side of the brambles is a big field, and then the neighbor's big pond. Almost every day I see bright red cardinals in those brambles, as well as the pretty muted rosey-brown female cardinals. I've tried more than once to get a photo, with little luck. I took some today... but will keep on trying for a better shot. The dark mish-mash of the brambles against the white snow is pretty, but with those cardinals in there, it's dramatically pretty! My photos in no way do it justice. Especially today, with the snow falling...



No comments:

Post a Comment