Monday, January 15, 2007

New Year's Eve... better late than never!

Now that 4th quarter & year-end close is done for me, I can finally take a good breath and get some stuff done... like catching up on my blog.

We had a super fun New Year's Eve this year. Most of the family made it over to our house, and we all made our own personal pizzas. It was a blast, and the pizzas were pretty good. I picked up a box of those frozen pizza dough balls at Gordon's Food. (And there are a lot of balls in that box. They won't go to waste, though... they're really good.) We had a bunch of different toppings ready. Fun to experiment. Kev was making margaritas, and experimenting there, too. This is Kev and Bob in the kitchen, where all the action was.


The kiddos & I decorated with an Italian motif... and I found a music station on the satellite TV playing Italian operas. I listened to them while I was chopping veggies and slinging pizza dough... I enjoyed them, but some people voted and turned them off. This is Dad, Kathy and my 2 brothers-in-law Bob enjoying themselves at our pizza fest.


And as it was Kathy's birthday a few days earlier, we gave her birthday present to her at the party... isn't she cute?!!


When we'd all ate our fill, and all made pizzas for taking home (I thawed way too much pizza dough!), we all took our drinks downstairs and commenced the 2006 Air Hockey Tournament. We drew names to start the first round of pairs. The kids kept track on their white board...


It was funny that my niece, Michelle, was paired up with her boyfriend, Mike... who we all got to meet for the first time that evening. Super nice guy. Very tall, too... 6’6”... very nice.


Mike won, but Joycie kicked his butt later in the 2nd round. I also got a butt kicking in the 2nd round, by my nephew, Michael.


Notice the ping pong ball in mid-air. We had a lot of photos of the air hockey tournament featuring a flying ping pong ball. The final match came down to Joycie and her Uncle Bob. Some serious air hockey commenced.


It was pretty close, Joycie was leading for a while, but Bob came back strong and kicked her butt.


Bob showing his gratitude to the accomodating puck. Or the lucky puck. Whatever way your skirt blows.


And admiring his trophy as the 2006 Air Hockey Tournament Champion.


That was a fun time... everyone hung out in the basement together, playing ping pong, watching the air hockey games and watching a bunch of Comedy Central Presents episodes we’ve recorded.

After the conclusion of the tournament, we all went upstairs and watched the ball drop. That part wasn’t as enjoyable as previous years. It’s great that Dick is still around and doing so well now; I’m sure his family is very thankful. But, man!, seeing him that way did not make me feel happy... it made me feel keenly the serious advancement of time, how the days go by so fast, making the years disappear, how your children turn into adults before your very eyes, leaving you wondering when it happened, how quickly you grow old, how in the world it’s already 2007... Maybe the network thought it would be uplifting for America to see old Dick back on the ball, but I found it morose and sobering... I think we all did. Kinda killed the party, along with the happy buzz I had going... and everyone was gone by 12:15 am. So the four of us popped in a DVD and watched a good old, favorite movie together until well past 2:00am. Now that’s the way to start a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment