Saturday, July 08, 2006

My something special from Kev

We have a corner at the back of our house, where it meets the back wall of the garage, that’s mostly shady. We’ve tried to grow grass there, and when that didn’t work, a small variety of other things. What does really well there is moss. No matter what we tried to plant, moss always took over.

When Kev was working outside Thursday, instead of sleeping, he made a moss garden for me. I love it! He transplanted some fern from out back of our property, and put some moss with a dead log piece and a piece of old, dead birch. When he went out West on a hunting trip a few years back, he brought home a couple of cattle skulls, and those have been sitting out there getting nice and mossy. Kev did such a wonderful job. When I got home and saw what he’d done, I was so surprised and so thrilled. I had thought about a moss garden because I saw an article in a magazine... but I don’t think I had ever mentioned it to Kevin. He did some research on the ‘net and decided what to put where. Now we just have to keep it well watered until the moss he brought in, also from out back on our property, is established.

Here’s the corner of the house and different views of our moss garden.














At the peak of our garage roof, there is a bird’s nest. Birds have frequently built nests in that spot. Kev said it was old and from last year, and that he’ll have to get up there and take it down.


But it’s occupied... and here’s the proof.


I hope those birds enjoy their new view of our moss garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment