Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Homage to the ambrosial onion

Yesterday evening after Kevin and I got home from work (at 8pm, because I rode in with him and worked a long day myself... ugh), I made dinner. Before I picked Kev up after work, though, I went to a local Meijer store. I bought a couple of those huge, 14-inch 4-cheese pizzas in the refrigerated deli section, the kind you bake yourself. I went there only to pick up the pizzas, but I ended up buying a few more grocery items. While the pizza was baking, I made a favorite recipe, tuna macacroni salad, only sans the tuna... and a few other little changes. It was basically seashell macaroni, hard-boiled eggs, chopped tomato, green pepper & celery, frozen peas, and... plenty of chopped, sweet onion. Mmmmm.... I made the dressing from milk, vinegar, sugar and Miracle Whip, plus some seasonings.

This morning both Kev and I took some of the salad into work for lunch. We drove in together again today, and after we were on our way, pleasantly talking and drinking our coffee, I mentioned the salad. I told Kev that when I opened that Tupperware bowl, the onion aroma just flew out at me. Kev was all like, yeah, I know, they were strong. "Hey," I said, "I wasn't complaining just then... I said that with joyful anticipation of lunchtime." I LOVE ONIONS. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

Growing up, I never ate onions because my Dad hates onions. And I always thought my Mom hated onions, too, but she can tolerate them. All the cooking we did at home never included onions. I thought I was also a hater of onions... until I had them. I think I was about 16 or 17 years old (I know!), & I realized what I had been missing. (And garlic, too! I could do a whole 'nother chapter on garlic.) At family dinners, if I make a recipe that uses onions, I will either leave onions out or make 2 dishes, 1 with & 1 without onions. There are a few more people in our family that also don't care for onions. (Oh, the shame!)

So if you have the good sense to appreciate one of the finest edible plants God ever put on this Earth... I offer you the following recipe. Enjoy!

Onion Pie
2 cups shredded Jarlsburg cheese
2 cups chopped sweet onion
1 & 1/2 cups real mayo
Mix all 3 ingredients together and bake in a shallow dish at 350 degrees F. for about 1 hour. I usually use 2 quiche pans with this recipe, and I bake it until it's nice and dark brown on the edges. Goes well with crackers.
This is usually considered an appetizer, though I can make a meal out of it.
Must use Jarlsburg cheese, otherwise don't bother.
Also, must be mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip, & I usually use only about 1 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment