Saturday, April 23, 2005

Little... Big...

Uh oh.

Here in my neck of the woods, we have a saying that goes like this: "Big snow, little snow." Or, alternatively, "Little snow, big snow."

I just took a walk down the hall to the bathrooms and saw through the windows (of which there are none in my pod) that the big, fat flakes of snow from early this morning have turned into slanted streaks of hard blowing snow.

"Little snow, big snow" means if the snow coming down is little, then we're likely to get an accumulation of it. It's colder, so the snowflakes aren't so big and fat, and probably won't turn to rain, and so the little snow may result in a longer duration of actual snowy weather. Get the drift? (ha! couldn't resist. I am in the office, where my dorkish qualities no doubt rule.) (And I'm sure there's a very scientific, technical explanation, but "little snow, big snow" works for me and others of my ilk. I ain't no meteoroligist.)

I can't believe this. Well, actually, yes I can. This past Monday evening, I sat and watched my daughter's soccer game in jeans and a short-sleeved shirt, sweatin' my ass off, wishing I had shorts on, and got a sunburn on my nose. It was something like 85 degrees. Hot and sunny. Today, we're back to winter weather. There's actually a winter weather advisory out until 3 pm tomorrow. That's Michigan for ya. We also have another saying common amongst Michiganders: "If you don't like the weather, just stick around for a couple of hours." Coz, baby, it'll change.

Tangent: Another "little, big" saying that I like, and I heard it recently on the TV show, CSI, goes like this: "little lie, big lie." It means if someone tells you a little lie, they may have told you a big lie also, or they may have no qualms about telling you a big lie. In short, they're a liar (and probably guilty of murder and most likely to get caught by Grissom and his team). Note: little white lies don't count. Love those little white lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment