Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Like That

This morning on my drive into work, I heard something that surprised me. Surprised me because I'm 45 years old, and I don't remember hearing of "the doctrines of Stoicism" ever. This was from a bit on the "Writer's Almanac" (and if I was listening to that, then of course I was late for work again) about the birthday of Marcus Aurelius. I've probably heard of the doctrines of Stoicism, I suspect, just that I don't remember it. Stoicism is one of my favorite words, though... so seems like I would remember there being doctrines of it.

According to Marcus Aurelius, the doctrines of Stoicism are, or include, that we must get through the problems of our lives with patience and endurance, drawing on our own inner resources to see us through.

In other words, quitcher whining and crying and buck up and take it like man, dude. Or a woman. A good, strong woman.

I think I'd have a wee bit of trouble with the patience part. Not my strong suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment