Thursday, April 14, 2005

Hooky Pusher

I'm a mom, and I advocate playing hooky. It's good for the soul!

I remember distinctly one time when I was in elementary school, probably 2nd grade or 3rd, when my mom came to the school and got me out of class, and we spent the day together. Just the 2 of us! I'm the youngest of 5 kids, so having time alone with Mom was Big Time Wonderful. I don't remember what we did, but I still remember being so very happy about it. I'm pretty sure she did that on more than 1 occasion, and probably with each of us kids in turn. My mom is awesome.

Once, I picked up my daughter at school, and we went shopping for lamps. She was in 7th grade at the time, and I totally lied at the office to get her out. She was surprised and thrilled, and we had the best day. We bought 4 excellent lamps for our library (it's a loft area with bookshelves that we've dubbed, with much aggrandizement, The Library). Now, the lamps all remind me of that day with my daughter. I love that about those lamps.

This morning, my son, a 4th grader, was disappointed in my refusal to iron a shirt for him, and he just wasn’t having the best morning... And also I knew that he was having a substitute teacher today, and they were going to work on stuff that he’s basically already done with... so I suggested he stay home for the day. Keep Dad company (who is now home from work for a week to finish recuperation of the catheterization site). Play Sims on Joycie’s computer. Watch TV. Play with Reilly. Sounds like heaven to me.

But my son demurred, then vacillated and then decided to Go To School. Gym today, plus some computer research project or other, so he wanted to go. I tried to talk him out of it, but he wanted to go to school.

What’s this world coming to?!

No comments:

Post a Comment