Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The root

Today was my very last Grand Jury session, and the 18-month term is finally over.

We passed a few more unanimous true bills today, and then the AUSAs (Assistant U.S. Attorneys) went over the past term's indictments. They gave us a bit of info on the status of each case. That was kind of a let-down, in a way. So many of the cases are still in limbo; very few bad guys in the group are behind bars.

I was glad to be able to do my duty, but I'm more glad it's over. It's like the same reason I don't like to watch that TV show, "Cops"... watching that show is like letting the dregs of society into your living room. I know all that shit's out there, but I'm glad I don't have to hear the explicit details about once or twice a month any longer.

On the drive over to the Federal court this morning, I saw this vehicle come up behind me on M-20. I shot this photo from my car window with my cell.



I thought it was appropriate. All morning the phrase "money is the root of all evil" kept running through my head. With few exceptions, all the crimes covered in the Grand Jury sessions basically came down to money. Who has it and who wants it and how badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment