Thursday, August 31, 2006

Moth-to-be

Another photo of a Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillar. I now notice them on milkweed plants everywhere. This little guy was crawling all over & wouldn't hold still for his photo shoot. After I took photos of the first one I found, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out what kind of caterpillar he was. Finally found a web site from the U.K. that allowed me to easily identify this one. As for the moth, I found several photos on the 'net and it must be there are several kinds of Milkweed Tussock moths... all different colors and shapes and sizes. The first caterpillar I found has moved on. I found this one 3 days ago, and he was only about 1/4 inch long then... so tiny. Today he was well over 1/2 inch long. I've checked on him each day, and it's amazing how fast he's growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment