Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Garden Fresh Goodness

I just had a big bowl of my own version of pasta primavera, and it was wonderful. I'm stuffed and happy.

After work, I picked Sam up at my folks' (Sam gets on and off the bus there), and we made a visit down to Joycie's garden. I brought home butternut squash (currently baking in the oven with butter & brown sugar), and tomatoes, carrots and onions.

I cooked up the onions & carrots with some mushrooms and garlic, added cooked angel hair spaghetti and chopped tomatoes at the last minute, with some parmesan cheese. Lots and lots of carrots. It was just right. Those root vegetables taste so much better when they've just been pulled out of the ground! The carrots were earthy sweet.

Joyce saw what I brought home and went over to check out her garden. Her grampa told her it was probably going to freeze down there on the river flats tonight, so she brought home all the watermelon she had down there. It was a lot of watermelon! We put it all in the pole barn, where it should keep for quite a while. We've been eating it often... it's so good!

She also picked the remaining jalepenos for me, since they won't make it through such a cold night. Most of them have turned red. I'm going to string them tonight and let them dry. All the rest of her garden should be fine through a hard frost. Frost on the pumpkins!

I love this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment