Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Drying Peppers & Pole Barn Memories



Joycie helped me get all our remaining jalepenos from her garden onto strings so they can dry. We hung them on the wall behind the wood stove in the corner of the living room, and they look beautiful. Joycie said she thought they "really go with our house." I knew what she meant; they do.

Stringing them made me cough from the pungent smell... those peppers get ya right in the throat. We wore rubber gloves, so no burning aftermath. Getting those up and knowing we're going to be looking at them for a while is very satisfying. The last time I dried peppers like this we were living in the pole barn, and Joycie was just a baby. Just the 3 of us. I mentioned that to Joycie, so while we strung peppers, we talked about what it was like to live in the pole barn. It was cozy and comfy, and life seemed much more simpler than now. Less bills to pay, that's for sure. Joycie was 4 years old when we built our house, and she remembers that summer pretty well. She also has clear memories of living in the pole barn. That girl always has had a good memory. I'm glad we had those years in the pole barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment