Sunday, October 24, 2004

Lazy Lazy Lazy

Sundays are supposed to be lazy, right. Today I've spent most of the day trying to build up the inclination to actually get something done. All I've accomplished is baking some cookies. (The kind where the dough comes out of a bucket... from a school fund-raiser.) My plan was to go into the office this weekend and really kick some butt on the stacks and stacks on my desk. No dice. Once I get home, I just don't want to go back there... so I don't. However, I am so far behind and have so much work backed up that spending a weekend in the office would probably make me feel better. Instead, I feel like I always have this big heavy thing hanging over my head. Well, not always, but often enough. Remember those plate spinners that would do their trick on Johnny Carson or Ed Sullivan? Sometimes I feel like that! I have a ton of stuff that I need and want to get done at home, which doesn't really include drinking 2 pots of coffee, baking cookies or watching last week's NYPD Blue on video. Hey, wait, I've done some laundry today, so I'm not a total lazy bones.

Actually, both at work and at home, I've not been very productive lately. I have spent a lot of time rearranging stacks of work and writing and re-writing lists. I think that I have so much to do that it has become too intimidating, like I don't know where to start, thus I don't ever really get started, at least not on anything substantive.

But I wish I had the energy of my son, Sam. He's just gone downstairs to "mom's craft room" and found some paints and brushes, and he's now going out into the woods to paint "stuff" on a fallen oak tree. It's actually a twin oak that fell last year, and the trunk where he's painting is taller than he is. This is an idea he's got that stems from an art project in school where they made "rocks" by stuffing paper and painting glue with sand on them, then painting on them in petroglyphic fashion. They're all sitting on top of the lockers outside of the art room, and they actually look very cool. Sam wanted to go find some rocks to paint, but having none to speak of on our forested land, he's made do with a dead tree. That's my boy.

Kev is on his way out bowhunting, and won't come back in the house until after dark. It's a cool, almost cold, overcast day, and perfect for hunting. The success of past hunting is currently in the oven, where it's been most of the afternoon -- 2 large venison roasts with potatoes, carrots and onions. And our house smells soooo good.

Joycie went over to Nathan's yesterday to spend the weekend with them. She was pretty happy about the plans. I suppose it's only fair, since we've had Nathan for a couple of weekends recently, but I do miss my girl. Not having her here this morning kind of got me a little off kilter.

Last weekend was homecoming, and the dance was on Saturday. Joyce looked so beautiful in her dressy dress. She is amazing. Nathan looked beautiful as well in his new suit. Together, they were... well, beautiful. They both looked so happy. Joycie said that her favorite part was being driven by Nathan with just the 2 of them. She said she felt older. She is a very mature 15-almost-16-year-old, and Nathan is also mature for his age, just 16. I'm proud of the both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment