Sunday, January 01, 2006

2006... I mean really, 2 0 0 6 !

I feel like I won't be able to get used to writing or saying "2006." It doesn't sound real to me. 1986. Now that's real. 1976. Hey, even 1996. Ugh. I'm old.

We had a wonderful dinner last night at one of our local "grill" restaurants. Especially nice since we had gift cards for the place. We all 4 were in a party mood, we got a perfect corner booth, and we made lots of noise laughing. It was great. Mid-way through our first margarita, Kev realized we had ourselves a designated driver in Joycie. Yippee! Spent a small fortune in margaritas, but it was very nice. The bill came to a little over $103, so I used 2 of our gift cards, which were $55 each. I must have been feeling very good, because I tipped our waiter the change from $110 gift cards total plus $30 in cash. He said thank you about 4 times. Happy New Year!

We had planned to go to a movie, but I nixed that and we're going this evening instead. I was too full and too looped to enjoy a 2-hour+ movie, and Kev agreed. Sam got "I Robot" for Christmas so we planned to watch that... right up until it started and then Joycie and I were so not in the mood for it. Women ruled in the house last night, and we watched more episodes of the "Gilmore Girls"... whoo-hoo!

Stopped the DVD & switched to TV just in time to hear "6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!!!" and see the ball drop in NY. Since we had watched none of it all night, it took us a few minutes to realize that voice was Dick Clark. Boy, did he sound old and different. But it was good to hear him. And then the goof ball guy called him Dick Carey. What an idiot. Guess he was still reeling from the major smooching he got from Mariah. Heard someone say that everyone should experience New Year's in New York at least once in their lives. I respectfully disagree. I would hate it. Too many people. Far too many people in one place at one time, and with booze. No thanks. My best friend, Sandy, and her family live near Dallas, and as her wise 22-year-old son said to me recently, "I hate People. I can only take People in small doses." (Boy, is he livin' in the wrong spot for that!)

So here's to 2006, the future, and only small doses of People.

No comments:

Post a Comment