Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Case of the Mysterious Draft

My computer, printer and other stuff is on my rolltop desk, which is situated right in the thick of things... we have an open floor plan, aka great room, where the living room, dining room and kitchen are one big open area. My desk is right in the middle. I used to have my computer stuff away in another room, but I missed out on a lot. With it right here, I can be with my family while I use the computer, and I enjoy that very much. My husband gave this desk to me as a gift in honor of my birthing our daughter. A birth day present. I love this desk. It's not an old or antique desk, and it's not very valuable. It's nice and it was more than we could really afford at the time... it's a relatively inexpensive Made-in-Mexico variety, but hey, we were pretty darn broke back then. And I don't have to worry about drilling some big ass holes in it for all the electrical cords.

Because of the configuration, I end up sitting off-center at the desk, basically straddling the left side of drawers. Each side has 3 drawers, 1 large one (hanging file size) and 2 small ones, half that size. This may sound uncomfortable, but it's not.

When I put my hand near the drawers, I can feel this faint draft. I noticed it because my leg kept getting cold. I would get up and check all the windows in the dining room to make sure we didn't leave any open (once in the dead of Winter, we left a window cracked an inch for days, all the while thinking, boy, the dining room is a bit nippy). Finally, I noticed this little air current near the drawers. But it's not there all the time. So I called my hubby over and said feel this.

He said, yeah, there's a duct vent under this side. Hmm, we must've left it open.

I have to admit, I liked my little draft more when it was from a mysterious source.

No comments:

Post a Comment