Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bird drama

A while back, sometime in May, I had some trouble with my new old ride, and I ended up at a car dealership. The engine had overheated, so I had to wait there for Kev to pick me up.

I am not a person who can simply wait patiently. I try, but I fail. I abhor waiting in doctor and dentist offices. The longer I have to wait, the more irritated I become. I know it's unreasonable. I also detest having to wait in the car outside of the school or any other location for my kid to come out of practice from whatever sport he or she is/was in, when the practice time ended at 4pm and I would sit there until almost 4:30pm. That really burns my ass. I want to have a little talk with the coach, but as a parent, ya don't dare do that! Grrr... So I wait impatiently. This usually leads to me doing something to entertain myself.

While at the dealership, parked in front of the service office, leaning on my car with my stuff because they had the keys already, I stand there and realize, hey, I've got my camera with me. I'm sure all the dudes on the other side of the window thought I was nuts, but I had fun. I started taking photos of a couple of sparrows who were playing out a big, ol' bird drama in front of me.

This guy would settle himself (or herself, who knows...) inside one of the openings of the big, blue letter "B" on the wall of the dealership building, part of the name.

Then he would hop/fly up to the roof, just a short distance and stare out at his surroundings, with kind of a "master of all I survey" attitude...

with the occasional pause for some self-grooming...

and so while he wasn't looking, another sparrow would dart in and land atop the B...

carefully peruse the B...

then hop down into one of the B openings, where it was nice and shady (did I mention it was hotter than heck out? well, it was)...

all the while evading the detection of the former occupant who was still busy surveying all...

meanwhile the other sparrow kept a sharp ear out for any approaching intruder of her newly claimed territory...

And then the bird on the roof would swoop in and chase the intruder away, and then the intruder would come back to chase that intruder away... and so it went for quite a while, with a couple of intermission breaks to the rooftop. But then it seemed that sparrow No. 1 just had his fill of sparrow No. 2, so they took their quibble to a whole new level...


with sparrow No. 1 the victorious occupant of the big, blue B...

Or so he thought, as Sparrow No. 2 alighted atop the B and proceeded to let loose with some pent up bird shit, unfortunately not caught on camera...


I was delightfully entertained... until the husband arrived, who promptly asked me what the hell I was taking photos of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment