Saturday, January 22, 2005

Time Flies When You're Having... Well, Time Flies.

Absolutely can't believe it's January 22nd of 2005. I mean, 2005. For some reason, 2005 just strikes me as too futuristic to believe. Maybe I've been seeing too much of "I Love the 90's Part Deux". Livin' in the past, man.

Almost the end of January. Geewillikers. I survived 4th quarter close and year-end. Well, technically, I'm still dealing with it all, until about mid-March, and then it's time for 1st quarter close. It's a never-ending cycle. Did I say never-ending? Hmmm... I meant vicious.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very thankful to be gainfully employed. There are even aspects of my job that I truly enjoy. I just never thought I'd end up doing payroll taxes for a living. Talking with the IRS on a regular basis. Being more proficient in MS Excel than Hoyle Solitaire. Understanding FICA taxes. Booing/hissing Pennsylvania locals. (that's an inside joke that any employer of folks living or working Pennsylvania will most assuredly understand) Millions of bucks without battin' an eye. (And none of it mine.) Planning my life around quarter-ends. Whodathunk.

2012. Now there's a year to wonder at. That's the year I can retire with full benefits. Sounds so far in to the future. But it's only 7 years away. 28 quarter closes. 7 year-ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment